Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memories and Realizations for Memorial Day

On Memorial Day much is made of memorializing our veterans and of that I am appreciative. My father was a veteran of the US Army. He served in Germany after World War 2. In 1982 he lost his life to cancer.

On this day I do not forget those parents that have lost a child to the monster of drugs and alcohol. Every day another parent feels that unbearable pain. I have met parents and spoke to people that walk and live with more strength than I can imagine. They live with a hurt I am not sure I am strong enough to bear.

As the sun rises on another Memorial Day salute the flags and veterans but do not forgot those parents that suffer in silence and alone. There child did not die for nothing. They died with love inside them that could not escape the monster and disease.

As I remember all of the parents that have lost their child I have a realization of how fortunate, lucky, blessed or whatever word fits that my son is happy, healthy, clear and sober another day. The rest of my life I will never take a single day for granted.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Ron:

Beautifully written. I am in tears.

Becky V said...

Thank you Ron for your dedication to this cause and passion for making a difference.

Tori said...

Beautiful Ron!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ron. I'm so glad that you have been able to get through this. I see hope for others, like me, who aren't quite there yet. I'm afraid to say out loud, that things are getting better, because oops happens and I'm heartbroken again. He's had this job a week now. I'm happy. I'm worried. What is his money really going to be spent on?? He is still staying with his stable friend.Prayers that he will get past this time of his life, and be healthy....

Cathy Taughinbaugh said...

Thank you Ron. This is always a needed reminder, as so many have been lost too soon!